Old Capitol gets a face-lift

The+Old+Capitol+is+shown+on+Monday%2C+July+25%2C+2016.+
File photo
The Old Capitol is shown on Monday, July 25, 2016.

Repairs to an Iowa City landmark began Monday to help maintain its iconic image.

By Addison Martin

A slew of construction has hit Iowa City this summer, and the Old Capitol apparently is not exempt. Renovation of the landmark will continue through the beginning of December.

However, visitors and tour groups need not to worry; the museum will remain open throughout the process, said Director of Pentacrest Museums Trina Roberts.

“We will remain open with our regular hours, with all of our doors open for the most part,” Roberts said.

The only issue would be a change in what door people use for the main entrance, and this change will not hinder the museum whatsoever, she said.

“Our main door, the one that opens up to the downtown area, also happens to be the best place for the contractor to park lifts and things like that, so that would be the only change,” she said. “We will have signs put in place in the event that it does happen.”

Construction will mainly be small repairs that are necessary to keep the museum running for future students and Iowa City visitors.

“Construction crews will begin replacing deteriorated wood elements and metal flat-lock seam roofing on the central attic, bell tower, and cupola sections of the central tower of Old Capitol,” said Anne Bassett, a communications manager for the University News Services, in a press release.

Portzen Construction of Dubuque will take on the task of restoring Iowa City’s most recognizable landmark. Construction will amount to roughly $1.3 million, Bassett said. Some scaffolding may be placed around the iconic dome to fix a leaky roof, but other than that, things will run as normal.

“Repairing the leaking roof may require the central tower to be wrapped in scaffolding, but no work is scheduled to take place on the gilded dome,” Bassett said.

The iconic building is important to the Iowa City landscape, and UI senior Adam Fitzsimmons is glad it is being taken care of.

“I think it’s a great museum,” he said. “Especially if you have a family, children, it’s great.”