Trump nears finish line for vice president

FILE+-+In+this+file+photo+then-Republican+Candidate+Donald+Trump+delivers+a+speech+at+the+Lincoln+Dinner+in+Des+Moines+on+Saturday%2C+May+16%2C+2015.+
FILE – In this file photo then-Republican Candidate Donald Trump delivers a speech at the Lincoln Dinner in Des Moines on Saturday, May 16, 2015.

By Brent Griffiths

Presumptive Republican nominee Donald Trump is in the midst of a very public search for a running mate. Iowa Republicans say either of his supposed top-two choices would be a welcome addition because they would supply Trump with something he lacks: experience.

“I think of everybody being mentioned there is a good opportunity for the ticket to improve,” said Polk County Republican Chairman Will Rogers.

Trump, a real-estate mogul and former reality-TV star, has promised theatrics in his announcement of a vice president. At times, the future head of the party of Lincoln has hinted he would announce his vice president in prime time at the national convention in Cleveland next week.

But Trump’s timing could have been forced. His campaign manager announced Wednesday night that an official announcement would come on Friday.

The rush could be because an Indiana law precludes Gov. Mike Pence, a frequent name on the short list, from running for both re-election and the vice presidency at the same time. But as the campaign has proven, nothing is a given with Trump.

Pence is a former top Republican in Washington who chaired the party’s conference in the U.S. House for a brief period toward the tail end of a six-term career. He also was impossible to miss in the fall of 2015, when a religious-freedom bill caused organizations ranging from the NBA and the NCAA to Apple and Angie’s List to condemn the law. The measure was eventually amended, but only after intense public scrutiny.

Numerous reports have listed Pence and Newt Gingrich as the leading candidates, but Trump has hinted he could go with a wild card. This could be a complete government outsider such as retired Lt. Gen. Mike Flynn or someone as simple as a former contender whose name is no longer in the running, such as New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie.

Iowa’s Joni Ernst, who won election to the Senate in 2014, took herself out of contention after a meeting with Trump. She said her focus remained on the state and then declared herself a supporter of Pence.

“I will admit that I am a Mike Pence fan,” Ernst told Politico. “He is so well-rounded, served as a governor, and I think he’s a great conservative. So I don’t think he could go wrong.”

Gingrich also brings a significant amount of government experience. He is a former speaker of the House who help lead a Republican takeover of the chamber for the first time in 40 years in part through campaign promises outlined in the party’s “Contract with America.”

“Gingrich is like a Churchill,” said Jamie Johnson, a former adviser to Texas Gov. Rick Perry during the 2016 cycle and Santorum in 2012. “He [Gingrich] sees a century ahead.”

Beyond his time in Washington, Iowans will recognize Gingrich from his 2012 presidential run. According to the nonprofit Democracy in Action, Gingrich spent 57 days’ worth of events in Iowa before finishing fourth in the caucuses. But despite dedicating more time to Iowa than former Texas Rep. Ron Paul, Gingrich finished behind him. While not on caucus night, Sen. Rick Santorum was declared over eventual GOP nominee Mitt Romney.

“He is definitely a very smart and engaging individual,” said Story County GOP Chairman Brett Barker. “I do think a lot of Iowa Republicans got to know him. Nobody understands the inner workings of Congress better than Newt Gingrich.”

Once arguably a national face of his party, Gingrich left Congress after a number of members of his own party had more or less grown tired of him, according to news accounts from that time. After an ethics investigation, Gingrich was forced to pay $300,000 and admit his conduct did not reflect well on the House. His party also did not meet expectations in the 1998 mid-term elections.

Unlike Ernst, Iowa’s other U.S. senator has been much more mum on his preference.

Sen. Chuck Grassley, in a weekly conference call with reporters, chided those who overlook the most important duty for a running mate: becoming president should the Commander-In-Chief be no longer be able to serve.

“Whoever is president, if the president dies or is incapacitated, the question is can that person perform the office of the presidency?” Grassley said. “I don’t know whether or not anything else is important.”