Letter to the editor

Be a fan of fan distribution

The Crisis Center of Johnson County and Shelter House have worked with families at Rose Oaks Apartments who recently had to move to different units during planned improvements and construction at the complex. Some families moved into units that did not have air conditioning. Shelter House leaders reached out to the Crisis Center to inquire about the Fan Club distribution and whether these families could be assisted through the program.

The Crisis Center has distributed more than 2,000 box fans since 2010, and Executive Director Becci Reedus said the Crisis Center was happy to help.

“We realize how uncomfortable summer in eastern Iowa can be, and we thought this was a great opportunity to help local families stay cool during the hot summer months.”

Rose Oaks resident Megan Irwin said she couldn’t be happier. “A friend of mine gave me a small desk fan, but my apartment gets so hot this box fan is going to make a big difference,” she said.

Irwin says she hopes more people hear about the box-fan distribution and donate to help their neighbors.

Shelter House Housing and Placement Services Manager Debbie Peck said, “One resident complained that a mental-health issue he struggles with gets worse when he is hot and uncomfortable. He said the fan will help him stay calm and get a better night’s sleep.”

If you would like to help support the Fan Club, visit www,jccrisiscenter.org for more information or contact Communications Coordinator Jay Capron at 319-351-2726 [email protected] A donation of $20 will purchase a box fan for a family in need.

Crisis Center