Letter to the editor

Some skip meals and go hungry without Free Lunch Program

School is out for the summer, and while some families look forward to summer vacations, over the next few months many children from low-income families in Johnson County will go hungry because of the absence of the Free Lunch Program.

Feeding America recently released its annual Map the Meal Gap data, which indicate that there are more than 19,000 food-insecure residents in Johnson County. Food insecurity refers to USDA’s measure of lack of access, at times, to enough food for an active, healthy life for all household members and limited or uncertain availability of nutritionally adequate foods. With a 14.1 percent food-insecurity rate, only seven Iowa counties have a higher rate of food insecurity than Johnson County.

Budgets are stretched over the summer months as low-income families spend much of the monthly budget on housing and utility bills while struggling to provide meals for their children. A recent survey conducted by the Johnson County Hunger Task Force showed that more than 81 percent of the clients who visit the Crisis Center Food Bank spend more than half of their income on housing. That number is staggering, and it reflects the serious issue of an affordable housing shortage in the area.

“When families are spending more than half their income on housing, they become part of a continual crisis situation,” said Crisis Center Food Bank and Emergency Assistance Director Sarah Benson Witry. “It becomes challenging to save money for emergencies like car repairs, health issues, or other unexpected expenses.”

Feeding America determined that it would take $9.8 million in additional funding to meet the food needs for everyone in Johnson County. In an attempt to serve more than 13,000 Johnson County residents each year through its Food Bank, Crisis Center of Johnson County is holding Thanksgiving in July, a monthlong food drive to ensure the Food Bank shelves continue to be stocked throughout the summer.

The public is encouraged to participate in Thanksgiving in July by hosting a food drive or fundraiser. More information about Thanksgiving in July can be found at www.jccrisiscenter.org or by contacting Communications Coordinator Jay Capron at 319-351-2726 o r jay.[email protected]