Women’s gymnastics season coming to a close

Iowa women’s gymnast Caroline McCrady after successfully landing on the vault at the Iowa vs. Utah State meet held at Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Saturday, Jan 11, 2014. The Hawkeyes team lost to the Utah State Aggies 191.75-191.65. (The Daily Iowan/ Tyler Finchum)

It’s finally Drenth’s day.

The women’s gymnastics season is coming to a close with this weekends 2016 NCAA Championships and one deserving GymHawk will travel to Fort Worth, Texas in hopes of coming back to Iowa City as a national champion.

Junior Mollie Drenth will be the lone Iowa gymnast, qualifying as an individual competitor in the NCAA Regional competition just two weeks ago at the Carver-Hawkeye Arena.

“I am really excited,” Drenth said. “I wish we were going as a team but it is a great experience and it is a great opportunity to bring back what I will learn [in Texas] for next year when we go as a team.”

Drenth will look to keep her momentum rolling as she heads to Forth Worth as she has collected a total of 19 event titles this season, including eight on beam, seven in the all-around, three on vault, and one on floor.

Drenth will face stiff competition; as she will look to take down gymnastic powerhouses Alabama, Auburn, California, Florida, Georgia, LSU, Minnesota, Nebraska, Stanford, UCLA, Utah and top-ranked Oklahoma.

Competition will begin Friday, April 15-16 at 7PM in Fort Worth, Texas.

Coverage of the meet will air live on ESPNU and fans will be able to view real-time stats on the women’s gymnastics schedule page at hawkeyesports.com.