Uthoff snares another All-American honor

Iowa forward Jarrod Uthoff talks to reporters outside the locker room after the Iowa-Northwestern game in Welsh-Ryan Arena on Sunday, Feb. 15, 2015. The Hawkeyes lost in overtime to the Wildcats, 66-61. (The Daily Iowan/Margaret Kispert)

Iowa’s Jarrod Uthoff added to his list of honors earlier this week when the Associated Press selected him as a third-team All-American.

Uthoff had a stellar season, leading the Hawkeyes to the second round in the NCAA Tournament, and he filled up the stat sheet along the way. The 6-9 forward averaged 18.9 points, 6.3 rebounds, and a Big Ten-leading 2.6 blocks per game.

He was Iowa’s Mr. Basketball coming out of high school in 2011, and now becomes Iowa’s first consensus All-American since Chuck Darling in 1952.

To be a consensus All-American means that Uthoff was selected to prestigious teams by all of the AP, U.S. Basketball Writers Association, and National Association of Basketball Coaches.

After being named as a third-team All-Big Ten player last season, the Cedar Rapids native was also a unanimous selection to the first team by the Big Ten in 2016.

On top of the performance-based awards, Uthoff was also an Academic All-American and the Division-I CoSIDA Academic All-American of the Year after posting a 4.0 GPA in the fall semester, and he became the first Hawkeye player to be featured on the cover of Sports Illustrated twice in one year.

It was a good year for the Hawkeyes and a great year for Uthoff. He leaves the Iowa program as one of the most decorated players in its history and appears to have a potential NBA career ahead of him.

— by Kyle Mann

Facebook Comments