Community bonds through Dance Marathon

By Tom Ackerman

@Tom_AckermanDI

A million words can define what the Dance Marathon event is to Iowans and the city itself, but if put most simply, it may be a community coming together.

While built as a fundraiser for cancer research and a support to local families facing loss, the 24-hour event has done that and much more. It has helped tell what Iowa City stands for.

“I can’t even tell you what it means to me,” said Pat Daufeldt of the event that has gone on for 22 years.

She waited for her grandson who participated in the fundraising and ceremonies.

“It’s very emotional and uplifting,” she said.

Daufeldt held back tears as she talked about Dance Marathon and its mission.

“I’m thankful for the kids and what they’ve done,” she said.

President Harreld watched on a balcony, along a back wall with the families who had lost loved ones themselves.

“This is what life is all about,” he said. “This is how we come together as a community for a cause. The enthusiasm, the spirit, and in the name of such a cause.”

He also commented on the large turnout, as glow sticks and students packed the ballroom of the Iowa Memorial Union. With a smile, he said to watch for the final fundraising dollars later in the evening.

Diane Hobart, a mother holding a young child in the crowd, said she had lost her other child to the disease. She said she felt a great sense of pride in the event even though she is not an Iowa City resident.

“It’s all these young kids that are exceeding such expectations,” said Mia Lapelusa, another mother watching the ceremony from afar as the night began to close. She said her son grew out his hair to donate for the event.

“The ability of this all is overwhelming,” Lapelusa said. Because of my son, because of this community, I’ve become more aware of how important of an issue this is.”

This year’s Dance Marathon was able to raise $2.4 million.

“There may be disagreements, but one thing we can all agree on is this cause,” Harreld said on his arrival to the school.