Rose Bowl: Highlights from Shaw’s press conference — 12/30

Stanford head coach David Shaw talks to the media during Stanford’s Media Conference inThe LA Hotel Downtown in Los Angeles on Tuesday, Dec. 29, 2015. Stanford will play Iowa in the 102nd Rose Bowl on Jan. 1, 2016. (The Daily Iowan/Margaret Kispert)

Stanford head coach David Shaw spoke with the media on the morning of Dec. 30. Below are interesting quotes, notes, and general highlights from what the Cardinal head man had to say.

By Charlie Green

LOS ANGELES — Below is what David Shaw had to say ahead of the 102nd Rose Bowl Friday. This is the last media availability before the contest, and we’re just as anxious to get underway as you.

• Shaw: doesn’t matter that we’ve been here more recently than Iowa. It’s a special game.

• “We’re probably 99 percent healthy.” LB Blake Martinez is looking good.

• Film breakdown of Iowa: offensively efficient, methodical. Defensively, coordination, everyone is where they’re supposed to be, no one out of position, they play fast.

• On similarities: “We had to go back to doing what we do” after opening loss to Northwestern. “All year you just watched Iowa find a way to win, and no one noticed.” One thing both teams have in common is that they don’t listen to what outsiders say.

• On Christian McCaffrey: Former Stanford receiver Ty Montogomery, now with the Green Bay Packers, told Shaw he couldn’t wait to see McCaffrey play after watching him practice in the summer before his freshman season. “As much as he has in our offense, he’s a great team player and loves to celebrate what other guys do.”

• “He’s 19 years old. I don’t know if he’s done growing yet, he’s going to get bigger, faster, and better; that’s what young players do.”

• On recruiting him: Discusses struggles of recruiting for an academic-first program, saying, “Even with two Stanford parents, there were some anxious moments.”

• Credits  receivers for willingly blocking, determination of offensive line, and athletic ability of backs. Also credits opportunistic defense for getting off the field on third down. “Each week, it could be a different guy who shines.”

• On leadership of Kevin Hogan: It’s hard to talk about his progression without getting a little emotional. He talked about Hogan not knowing what was going on as a freshman but quickly getting a handle on school and practice.

• On rebounding from a tough 2014: “He’s a guy that’s been through the highs of the highs and the lows of the lows. And he’s gained perspective … His leadership has really shown up when we needed it.”

• On atmosphere: “It’s one of the really cool things about the Rose Bowl, there’s an energy and excitement in the year. There’s still nothing like running out onto the field at the Rose Bowl.”

• On seniors: The best thing they’ve done is that leadership, both through the tough times and the good times. “What I’ve learned as a coach is I can’t carry the team by myself.”

• Thought this was a special team one week into training camp.