Rose Bowl: Freshmen

The+Iowa+kicking+team+huddles+before+the+Big+Ten+Championship+Game+against+Michigan+State+in+Lucas+Oil+Stadium+in+Indianapolis%2C+Indiana+on+Saturday%2C+Dec.+5%2C+2015.+
Alyssa Hitchcock
The Iowa kicking team huddles before the Big Ten Championship Game against Michigan State in Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis, Indiana on Saturday, Dec. 5, 2015.

Some of the Iowa football team’s freshmen talked to the media, which doesn’t happen, ever. Until now.

By Danny Payne

LOS ANGELES — The Rose Bowl provides all sorts of opportunities for players, fans, media, and everyone in between to do perhaps once-in-a-lifetime things. Having the chance to interview Iowa true freshmen is one of them.

We’ve compiled some of the noteworthy things they have to say about their experiences so far and their Hawkeye futures.

James Daniels, offensive line

On his brother, LeShun Daniels Jr., helping his transition to college:

LeShun, he helps me a little, but when I ask him to do things for me, take me some places, he says to me, “If I did it on my own, you can do it on your own.” So I guess he does the hands-off approach to helping me. He really doesn’t help me. I thought he would help me a lot more, but I honestly really don’t even need his help.

Reading that, it might seem as if LeShun is a terrible brother. The younger Daniels seemed OK with the approach when speaking Tuesday.

On graduating from high school early to play spring football:

I did miss a lot of high school. That last semester of high school, that’s when you take easy classes and just mess around with your friends all day. I did miss that. I missed prom. But going in a semester early I did learn to deal with school, and football, and workouts — we have 6 a.m. workouts. Waking up at 6 a.m., I got used to it. When the summer came and the season came, I knew how to manage my time. That’s what that first semester’s for — time management with school and football, that really helps.

On his dad, LeShun Sr., playing in the Rose Bowl:

When I was in high school, he was talking about the Lawry’s Beef Bowl, the best prime rib he’s ever had in his entire life. Two days ago, he asked me about the food; he said it was amazing, I told him it was amazing. He was like, “I told you.” He’s been thinking about that. It was 19, 20 years ago, and he still remembers the food.

Daniels said he ate only two plates of food.

On his experience as a freshman:

Next year, I know what to expect; this year, the first half of the season, first couple games, I really didn’t know what to expect. Now, if I was going into Friday, I know what to expect.

At the beginning of the season, our goal was to win a Big Ten Championship, and we didn’t. If we win the Rose Bowl, it’s a big accomplishment. It’s an accomplishment for any team.

On practicing with the first team offense:

I always work with the No. 1s; every week, I work with the 1s. The whole year, I haven’t been taking all the reps with the 1s, but I’ve been taking all the reps with the 1s this week.

On starting the Illinois game at tackle:

I’m not going to lie, that was the only game I’ve really ever played where I was nervous. The first series I’m out there, I don’t think I gave up a sack, but I let C.J. [Beathard] get hurried, and I jogged to the sideline, and all my coaches told me to calm down. We ended up having a 14- or 15-play drive to end the game, so I had to get a couple plays, and I was fine.

Ryan Boyle, quarterback

On learning the ropes this season:

Just as quarterback and everything, just to be under C.J. and Coach [Greg] Davis and Coach [Kirk] Ferentz and to have them be the model citizens they are; to learn as a player and as a man to learn everything right, and be humble, and do the right thing.

On his progression on the field:

Coming into camp and everything, I felt pretty young, and now I feel as though grasping the offense and doing everything I can with lifting and the seniors who are here, to learn from them and do the right thing — they lead by example.

On taking second-team reps while Beathard was injured:

It was different; I was able to run an offense a little bit more. Being able to run the offense, you’re able to do a lot more.

On Beathard:

When in doubt during the season, when he got hit pretty hard, seeing him pop right back up — C.J.’s the man. What he does is unbelievable, and what he’s done for this team as a leader and captain on this team, it’s remarkable. I look up to him; just to be able to learn from him is really awesome. From practices, you pick up stuff from him, Tyler [Wiegers], the other QBs and make it into your own craft.

On potentially running the read option:

I hope so, Coach Davis puts us in the right situation and the right play every single time. If the read option does call for that, maybe we will.

Drew Cook, quarterback

On a running the scout team:

One of the biggest ones I had to emulate was Connor Cook for the Big Ten Championship Game. I had to give the defense a good look; that was a great week for me, trying to give the defense a good look.

On learning from Beathard and Davis:

With all that knowledge in the room, it’s hard not learn things every day — taking those things onto the practice field and learning them every day, that’s what I’ve been doing trying to get better.

On his dad, Marv Cook’s experience at the Rose Bowl:

My dad’s favorite bowl game is the Rose Bowl. He has so many memories of his own from his experience — he said to enjoy every minute of it.

Follow @dannyapayne on Twitter for Iowa football news, updates, and analysis.