Comparing tournaments, duals

By Courtney Baumann

EVANSTON, Ill. – After a nearly three-week break, the Iowa wrestling team is back in action at the 53rd-annual Ken Kraft Midlands Championships.

The tournament setup is a bit different from what the Hawkeyes are used to seeing this season.

Only a few, mainly those who have competed unattached, have been in a tournament during the 2015-16 season. Dual meets have dominated Iowa’s schedule so far.

There are some large differences between the two formats that Iowa has to adjust to.

The importance of nutrition and rest are stressed even more during tournaments than they usually are.

“You have to keep your energy high and watch your nutrition and what you’re doing with that,” Sammy Brooks said. “You have to make sure you’re as ready as you need to be.”

Seven Iowa wrestlers have advanced to the quarterfinals at Midlands, but senior Patrick Rhoads was not one of them.

The 165-pounder was pinned by No. 14 Tanner Weatherman of Iowa State in 46 seconds. When the Hawkeyes traveled to Ames a month ago, Rhoads stuck with Weatherman all seven minutes, losing a close decision, 10-9.

Not one to make excuses, head coach Tom Brands said Rhoads’ shoulder could have been part of the issue. Brands was quoted as saying Rhoads’ shoulder was “nicked up a bit” in his previous match against Buffalo’s Tyler Rill.

The quick turnaround of tournament wrestling did not allow Rhoads to have time to rest it before he got back out on the mat, which may have been a contributing factor in the loss.

That is not to say that the wrestlers dislike tournament wrestling.

Actually, most like it better than dual meets.

Nathan Burak, one of the seven Hawks who advanced to the semifinal round, said he enjoys tournaments more.

“I like the atmosphere better and being in lots of matches,” the 184-pounder said. “I build on matches in tournaments.”

Mindset is another huge factor in how the wrestlers perform in tournaments.

In dual meets, the wrestlers only have to worry about the one opponent they will face that day. That is not the case in tournaments.

In a championship setting, wrestlers see large numbers of opponents. Being able to react to the different wrestlers along with the different styles they have is important to winning — and also not something that’s particularly easy.

However, Brands would rather his wrestlers not think about the path they have to take to get to the championship and instead focus on one match at a time, because things can be so unpredictable.

If wrestlers think the bracket might go one way, they could be thrown off if it does not go according to plan.

“Whatever is thrown at you, you have to get ready for,” Brands said. “If you’re looking too far ahead and there’s an upset, something else could happen. Or if you’re looking too far ahead, you could be the one who gets upset. You have to be focused. One match at a time is the way to do it.

Iowa will resume competition in Welsh-Ryan Arena at noon Dec. 30.

Follow @cbomb12 on Twitter for Iowa wrestling news, analysis, and updates.