Dissecting Christian McCaffrey

Iowa will face Heisman Trophy runner-up Christian McCaffrey in the Rose Bowl. What makes him tick, and can he be stopped?

By Charlie Green

As one of the most prolific backs in college football, Stanford’s Christian McCaffrey does just about everything.

The sophomore has set a single season record for all-purpose yards, averaging 268.9 per game as a runner, receiver, and return man. Last week, he placed second in Heisman Trophy voting to Alabama’s Derrick Henry.

McCaffrey, the son of former Denver Bronco Ed McCaffrey, has drawn comparisons with Reggie Bush for his all-around ability. He’s dynamic, dangerous, and more than anything, versatile. The Hawks will undoubtedly have their hands full when he is on the field.

The runner

At 6-1, 200 pounds, McCaffrey’s patience and explosion may be his best attributes as a running back. He put together an 1,800-yard season behind one of the best lines in college, using those qualities to burst into the second level.

Once in the open field, the sophomore is a difficult to catch and bring down. Quick feet and fluid hips allow him to cut on a dime, making one-on-one situations not ideal situations for defenders.

He’s shifty, explosive, and also powerful. Stanford runs him primarily between the tackles. And although he finished with only 8 rushing touchdowns, he’s a viable option at the goal line and in short-yardage situations.

The receiver

Not only is McCaffrey the team’s leading receiver, he’s second in the nation in receiving yards for running backs with 540. Coming out of the backfield he’s an immediate matchup nightmare for defense to account for.

McCaffrey is an exceptional athlete for reasons not always talked about. Watch him haul in a pass in the flat or on short-out routs, and you’ll notice his eyes and hands are always in sync. That kind of coordination has him looking up simultaneously as the ball reaches his gloves, ready to make his move downfield.

Because the Cardinal don’t have much in the way of receiving targets, they rely heavily on the production their do-everything back brings to the table in the pass game.

McCaffrey makes life a lot easier for quarterback Kevin Hogan, particularly on third and short.

The returner

McCaffrey has 3,496 all-purpose yards in 2015, more than 1,000 better than the next highest player. More than 1,000 of those yards have come from kickoff returns — and it’s not just a product of quantity.

He ranks eighth in the country in kick-return average at 28.9, and has kick returns of 96 and 98 yards this season. He’s not only a threat to score with each kick he takes, he’s a threat to set his offense up in good field position.

McCaffrey’s all-around excellence nearly earned him college football’s highest honor in 2015. His skills have drawn comparisons with Reggie Bush, and he has at least one more year of college ball left in him.

His all-purpose record put him in good company; his campaign bested that of Barry Sanders in 1988.

If Iowa needs to key in on one player in the Rose Bowl, it’s McCaffrey. Neutralize him, and the lifeblood of Stanford’s offensive attack is gone.

Doing so, of course, is easier said than done.

Follow @charlsgreen on Twitter for Iowa football news, updates, and analysis.