Some surprises in fantasy land

www.norebbo.com
3d illustration of an NFL logo behind a transparent silver American football over a metallic silk background

Metro Editor Bill Cooney gives his fantasy-football pickups for Week 3 of the NFL season.

By Bill Cooney

Each week in the National Football League is predictably unpredictable, with injuries and other mishaps. If your team didn’t perform as expected and you need to bolster your roster before the Week 3 matchups, take a look at some of these players, who are free agents in most fantasy football leagues.

Quarterbacks

Derek Carr — Oakland Raiders

Last week: 351 yards, 3 TDs, 1 INT

The Raiders surprised everyone by handing Baltimore its second loss in as many weeks on Sunday, and Carr was in top form. At a time when some of the more well-known starting quarterbacks around the league are getting hurt or underperforming, Carr is worth a pickup.

Ryan Fitzpatrick — New York Jets

Last week: 244 yards, 2TDs, 1 INT

Who saw this coming? The Jets are 2-0 and have been led to this point by the magnificent beard of Ryan Fitzpatrick. It’s a favorable matchup heading into next week with the underperforming Philadelphia Eagles coming to play in the Big Apple. Trust in the beard and give Fitz a start this week.

Wide Recievers

Travis Benjamin — Cleveland Browns

Last week: 3 receptions, 115 yards, 2 TDs

With only 3 receptions, Benjamin probably isn’t worth picking up in PPR leagues, but with big play potential and a growing chemistry with Brown quarterback Johnny Manziel, means he will be seeing more opportunities in upcoming weeks.

Nate Washington — Houston Texans

Last week: 3 rec, 63 yards

Washington doesn’t make this list because of his performance last week. He’s here because of his potential for big plays, which will only go up throughout the season. Stash him on your roster, and wait for a favorable matchup or a BYE week.

Running Backs

James Starks — Green Bay Packers

Last week: 95 yards

Starks took over starting touches for the injured Eddy Lacey, and at times looked like himself from the 2011 season. Sources say Lacey might be back for next week’s Monday night game against the Chiefs, but I’m not buying it. Starks should see at least one more week of starting touches.

Matt Jones — Washington Redskins

Last week: 123 yards, 2 TDs

Matt Jones is a bad, bad, man. Take a look at the footage of him running the ball against a Rams defense that was effective in stopping Marshawn Lynch just a week ago. You see it? This rookie is poised to become one of the premier power backs in the NFL; if you don’t pick him up, someone will.

Tight Ends

Jared Cook — St. Louis Rams

Last week: 47 yards

This one is a surprise. Cook has received some of the most targets of any tight end this season, capitalizing on them is another matter. But as long as the potential for greatness is there, Cook is worth adding to your fantasy lineup.

Dark horse of the week: Jets D/ST

Revis Island looked more like an archipelago on Monday night, making plays all over the field. With the under-performing Eagles coming to town for a showdown at home, this pickup is a no-brainer.

Follow @BCooney4 on Twitter for fantasy-football updates, news, and analysis.