Football works around injuries

Iowa running back Jonathan Parker attempts to break through a tackle at the UNI game at Kinnick Stadium on Saturday, August 30, 2014. The Hawkeyes beat the Panthers 31-23. (The Daily Iowan/Margaret Kispert)

A look at Iowa’s depth in the wake of injuries to Drew Ott and LeShun Daniels Jr.
By Jordan Hansen

The injury bug bit Iowa early this year, but at this point, it’s more of annoyance than a severe rash.

Defensive end Drew Ott and running back LeShun Daniels Jr. are questionable for Saturday’s contest with Pittsburgh. Iowa head coach Kirk Ferentz said on Tuesday he was hopeful they would be back against North Texas, which Iowa is scheduled to play after the Panthers.

“It would be premature to make any predictions how it’s going to go,” Ferentz said. “But they are making progress, and we’ll see how the week plays out on that one.”

For the sake of argument, let’s they don’t play this week or the week after. Who fills in for the two starters?

At defensive end, it would likely be redshirt freshman Parker Hesse for Ott. The Waukon native was originally projected as a linebacker but switched to his high-school position of defensive end late last season.

Hesse has appeared in both games this season, totaling 5 tackles (3 solo) and a sack against Illinois State. Most of his work, however, came during the Iowa State game after Ott was sidelined.

His first couple series were a bit shaky, but once he got comfortable, he started getting serious push.

“He did a great job and is one of those guys who just is getting better everyday,” defensive end Nate Meier said. “We feel really confident with our seconds.”

After Hesse come 6-8 redshirt freshman Matt Nelson (who is listed as Meier’s backup) and senior Melvin Spears. Both have played in small doses, but they could see an increase in playing time if Ott is out for an extended period.

On the other side of the ball, it’s fairly obvious the Hawkeyes will go with senior Jordan Canzeri if Daniels can’t go. Canzeri had 24 carries against Iowa State, with 16 of those coming in the second half.

“It’s not anything that puts me under more pressure, because I’m ready for whatever the coaches put me up for,” Canzeri said. “I had to step up and help my team out and finish strong.”

Canzeri is listed 33 pounds lighter than Daniels and is much better in space than as a ground-and-pound running back. There is also an injury history with Canzeri, so it’s hard to imagine the coaching staff not trying to get him to space.

Iowa has had success this season getting him to the outside, but this relies on quarterback C.J. Beathard and the wide recievers to stretch the defense. So far this season, he’s been able to. As an added benefit for the Hawks, neither of their next two opponents boasts anything special in their pass defenses.

After Canzeri come the question marks. Akrum Wadley is healthy but has ongoing fumbling issues, while Derrick Mitchell Jr. has been slowed by injury and a suspension at Iowa State.

Beyond them comes Marcel Joly, who had one carry for 8 yards in the season-opener. He’s certainly on Ferentz’s radar, and the coach hinted that he might see some time.

“He’s certainly in the equation. He’s been practicing with our guys,” Ferentz said. “It’s kind of whoever is healthy and whoever is looking the best in practice.”

Follow @JordyHansen on Twitter for news, updates, and analysis about the Iowa football team.