McCaffery adds fifth recruit

Iowa men’s basketball head coach Fran McCaffery added a fifth recruit to his 2015 class this week, when Christian Williams (St. Teresa, Decatur, Illinois) committed to the Hawkeyes on Wednesday.

Williams is a 6-6 wing player who played on the varsity squad in all of his four years at St. Teresa and was named all-state twice and first-team all-league in Macon County three times. Rivals.com has him rated as a three-star recruit.

At 180 pounds, Williams is a wiry swingman who can also handle the ball and has passing ability that impressed McCaffery enough to project him as a possible three-position player, presumably at either guard position or the small forward.

The St. Teresa star averaged 18.7 points per game as a senior, along with 8.6 rebounds, 3.3 steals, and 3 assists per game, and was named Macon County Player of the Year by the Herald & Review as his Bulldogs finished runner-up at the state tournament. His 1,587 points also leaves him in the top-20 all-time in Macon County and the all-time leader at St. Teresa.

Williams missed the first 11 games of his senior season at St. Teresa because of complications after his family moved from Decatur to Springfield. After being briefly enrolled at Springfield, Williams turned 18 and returned to live with a classmate’s family in Decatur less than a week into school. He was eligible to play again for the Bulldogs but had to receive clearance from his mother.

His coaches and faculty at St. Teresa spoke highly of Williams’ mindset while sitting out the first portion of the year, impressed by his willingness to contribute eagerly as a part-time manager/assistant coach. Upon returning, he re-assumed his role of star player amid a roster of more prepared players from their time without him and turned in one of the school’s greatest seasons of all-time.

Williams joins guards Andrew Fleming and Isaiah Moss and forwards Brandon Hutton and Ahmad Wagner and will be on the team next season.