Drink of the Week: The Whitney

The brainchild of bartender Lawrence Mack, this cocktail has long been unofficially available to those in the know at Pints, 118 S. Clinton St. I first encountered it as an under-appreciated entry for best cocktail at this year’s Top Chef Downtown Iowa City on Monday.

Named after singer Whitney Houston, its title is a tongue-in-cheek nod to the Houston track that Pints plays every night at last call. It is a bracing drink not to be missed and one of the finer uses of bourbon in a cocktail I have yet to taste.

TASTE: The base, Cedar Ridge’s Iowa Bourbon Whiskey, offers a subtle and light flavor unlike brasher whiskeys and finishes hinting at honey. Yellow Chartreuse — made of 130 different herbs and honey — is added along with ginger syrup before mixing, sending this drink over the edge. The Chartreuse pairs well with the existing honey accents and bright flavor of the whiskey. Ginger syrup adds a complementary and wonderfully understated spice, preventing the drink from becoming too sweet or mellow. A sprig of rosemary and an orange peel garnish are the final touches to this immaculate experience.

ADVICE: A great beverage to sip while playing darts or pool, it pays to take your time with this one. Allowing the cocktail to sit gives the rosemary more time to infuse into the drink, further enhancing the excellent flavor.

— by Michael Kadrie