Hawkeyes finish up last day of NCAAs

The Hawkeyes wrapped up the NCAA finals in North Carolina breaking a total of three school records in the 100 breaststroke, 200 breaststroke, and 500 freestyle.

Senior Becky Stoughton broke the school record in the 500 freestyle, finishing 13th overall with a time of 4:39.76 earning an honorable All-American status. 

Sophomore Emma Sougstad broke the school records for both the 100 and 200 breaststroke in Day 2 and 3 of the finals, finishing 18th overall in the 100 breaststroke preliminary round with a personal best time of 59.96 and beating her previous time she set at Big Tens of 1:00.04.  Sougstad also set a school record of 2:11.20 in the 200 breaststroke, placing 29th overall in the preliminary round the following day.

“We wrapped up our final day of competition with some fast times and put ourselves in scoring position,” head coach Marc Long said in a release. “The girls swam to a pair of school records this week, and overall, they represented the Iowa very well.”

This year’s NCAA meet was also the last meet for Stoughton, who will graduate at the end of this semester. 

This was Stoughton’s second appearance in NCAAs and her first appearance since her freshman year after battling injuries during her sophomore and junior years.

“It’s crazy to think that my Hawkeye career has come to an end,” Stoughton said in a release. “It was a great way to end my career here at the NCAAs and come in with some fast times. I’m happy with how the week went and grateful for the experience.” 

The Hawkeyes also sent two divers to the NCAA championships. 

In day one of the NCAA finals, redshirt senior Joelle Christy finished 41st overall in 1-meter diving, scoring 253.33, and sophomore Calli Head finished 40th overall in platform diving, finishing at 208.7 in Day 3 of the finals.

“Our goal at the beginning of the year was to make it to the NCAAs,” diving coach Todd Waikel said in a statement.  “To have three divers qualify this season is really special — it’s been quite some time since that’s happened, and it’s a testament to where this program is headed.” 

Follow @RodEngblom on Twitter for news, updates, and analysis about the Iowa women’s swimming and diving team.