Dance tour begins at home

After three decades of pirouettes, jetés, and turnouts, the 31st incarnation of the University of Iowa Dancers in Company will take its show on the road, touring around the state. But first, the dancers will perform for their home crowd.

Today, Friday, and Saturday in North Hall’s Space/Place, Dancers in Company will perform a variety of contemporary dances choreographed not only by company choreographers but special guest Melinda Myers, a former member of the renowned Tricia Brown Dance Company.

Dancer and Company manager Emily Medd said the group began rehearsals in the fall, and it will tour throughout the spring.

“Dancers in Company is a company of 13 UI students in the Dance Department,” Medd said. “Every year, the Dance Department puts together a company to give the department students a real-life company experience in their time at the university.” 

Charlotte Adams, a UI associate professor of dance, said Saturday’s performance will include an afternoon children’s show, preparing the group to tour schools and host workshops throughout the state.

Company dancer Celina LaBat said Saturday’s show is also important because the themes portrayed onstage, such as love and triumph, are accessible to non-dancers.

“The director, Charlotte Adams, has been talking to us about showing audience members how dance portrays realistic experiences, and I think that this show will help people understand the movement,” LaBat said. “Often, people who don’t dance or haven’t seen much dance will say they didn’t understand what they saw, so I think it’s nice that [Dancers in Company] has so many pieces that people can relate to and dissect so they makes sense.”

Company dancer Blake Boseneiler said the program provides a learning experience for the dancers themselves, giving them a platform on which to present their talent and a chance to network with faculty members.

“Dancers in Company is important to me because it gave me an opportunity to dance more and work closer with the faculty members,” Boseneiler said. “I’m grateful for being apart of [the company] because I’ve learned so many things and have been inspired by the choreographers at many times.

“Rehearsing can be frustrating because you don’t think you can do something. Being in [the company] rehearsals every night showed me how the studio is a laboratory, allowing you to be open-minded on any choreography that is put on you.”

DANCE