Iowa men’s tennis set for important road trip

The Hawkeyes will take on BYU on Saturday in Provo, Utah, and Utah on Feb. 16 in Salt Lake City.

“I’m expecting this weekend to be a big test,” senior Matt Hagan said. “Especially to see how we fare early in the season. It’ll be a tough test, but it should build us mentally.”

BYU is 7-3 overall, 1-0 in the West Coast Conference so far this season, with losses coming from Utah State, No. 62 Tulane, and No. 39 Stanford.

The Cougars do not currently have any nationally ranked singles or doubles players.

The Black and Gold will have their hands full with Utah, which is currently ranked No. 54 and boasts a 4-1 record. The Utes’ lone loss came to No. 8 Georgia in Athens, Georgia.  

Hagan said wins against BYU and Utah would do a lot for the Hawkeyes’ confidence and would gain them some momentum heading toward the middle of their season.

Interim head coach Ross Wilson has repeatedly said he wanted to schedule tough road matches like the ones the Hawkeyes have this weekend.

He believes that in order to compete in the always-tough Big Ten, his players must face tough opponents on the court in the nonconference season.

Iowa will have its share of tough matches this weekend, but playing strong teams early in the season is nothing but good for a young team such as the Hawkeyes.

— by Blake Dowson