Hawks head to Oregon to face Ducks, Grizzlies

The Iowa women’s tennis team is looking to improve upon its 3-0 record this weekend as it travels to Eugene, Oregon to compete against both Oregon and Montana.

The Hawkeyes face Oregon on Saturday and Montana on Feb. 15. Both games will be played at 12 p.m. This is the first time since the 2011-12 season that the team has begun a season 3-0.

The Hawks all-time record against Oregon is 4-0. Last year’s victory was in Iowa City, 5-2.

The team had a short rest after last weekend’s home victories over Iowa State and Utah State.

“We were fortunate to have four good days of practice,” head coach Katie Dougherty said. “It gave us a chance to work on a lot of very specific things.”

Freshman Anastasia Reimchen was poised and confident in preparation for the match. She gave insight as to what practice has been like.

“[Dougherty] has been focusing on everyone individually much more this week, which I think will help us in the weeks to come as well as over this weekend,” Reimchen said.

Senior Katie Zordani saw success in singles and doubles last year against Oregon.

In fact, all of the returning players for Iowa who played in the Oregon match last year won in singles.

“It was a good match last year, and hopefully we get the result we want this weekend too,” Zordani said.

Montana is a slightly more enigmatic match, this being because Dougherty has never faced them. The last time the two teams met was in the 2003-2004 season and Iowa won, 7-0.

“It’s going to be a good test for us,” Dougherty said. She commended her players for their solid and intense style of play as of late. I think the team’s done a really good job proving that they can play at a high-level no matter who or where we’re playing,” the six-year head coach said.

Reimchen shares the same level of faith in the team’s capabilities as her coach. Saying that no matter who the opponent is, the Hawkeyes will bring the same high-level, tenacious play as always.

“We’re going to look at them as if they’re any other team,” she said.

— By Josh Hicks