Adams a leader in more than one way

Sophomore Katie Adams always keeps her eyes on the front of the pack, but she would never tell you that. Her running style has allowed her to lead the Hawkeye women’s cross-country team through competition on the course all season long by keeping her pace at the front of the pack of the Hawkeye runners.

She’s never one to take much credit, often praising her teammates for her performance.

“Getting out aggressively is something I’ve been working on this season, which I didn’t do much of last year,” Adams said. “When my teammates are around me, though, it definitely gives me a sense of comfort knowing that I am where I should be, which definitely helps me stay relaxed and confident throughout the race.”

Her teammates and coaches see her commitment to her training. But these traits have been around her since she found her love in running. The challenge between the body and mind show a true testament to her strength she has gained through the years running.

“You never really know what you’re going to get on race day, which makes it all that more exciting,” she said.

Adams found her way to the front of the Hawkeye pack for the second time this season. She ran the 6,000-meter in 21:21 to earn 50th place Sunday at the Big Ten meet. Adams has also been the Hawkeyes’ top finisher at the Illinois State Invitational on Sept.12.

Her teammates acknowledge their leader that is in front of them as they race to complete the course. Adams is someone they can look up to when the mind starts to challenge the body.

“We are very appreciative of how Katie ran the race,” sophomore Carolyn Newhouse said after the Big Ten championships. ”We needed somebody to be aggressive and to get ourselves well-placed, and she did that for us.”

Adams has competed in every race but one during her Hawkeye career and still has goals that her and head coach Layne Anderson wish for her to obtain before the end of this season, which only has one guaranteed race remaining.

“She is still developing her talents with each mile that she runs,” he said. “We have already established a goal to challenge the 21-minute barrier at the NCAA Midwest Regional.”

Her dedication displayed throughout her years here at Iowa has paid off as the Hawkeyes prepare to enter Peoria, Illinois, Nov. 14 to compete in the regional. Adams expects the team to show immense improvement from last year’s regional finish; she finished 92nd with a time of 21:59.

“We have a number of individuals who are equally as dedicated,” Anderson said. “But had to imagine anyone being more dedicated than Katie.”

Adams’ leadership continues to show in the meet results as her times get shorter and her rankings climb higher. But for the remainder of the season, Adams hopes to showcase what she has been good at her whole life — finishing the race.

“The work is done, and no matter what thinking I do, it is going to get me nowhere,” Adams said. “I just try to stay relaxed and be in the moment every single stride I take, not thinking about the past or the future outcome. I just run and let my fitness do the talking.”

Follow @shelbystites on Twitter for news, updates, and analysis about the Iowa women’s cross country team.