Trinca-Pasat, Wadley, Weisman honored

Iowa defensive tackle Louis Trinca-Pasat was named co-Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week Monday, and freshman running back Akrum Wadley was named Freshman of the Week.

The former sacked Northwestern’s Trevor Siemian three times for combined losses of 29 yards. Through eight games, he has surpassed his career-high, recording 50 tackles. This is the first time the senior has won the weekly award.

Wadley recorded his first career statistics against Northwestern, becoming Iowa’s first 100-yard runner since Jordan Canzeri did so on Nov. 9, 2013. He finished with 15 carries for 106 yards and a touchdown.

Mark Weisman was named College Sports Madness’ Big Ten Offensive Player of the Week. He rushed 20 times for 94 yards and scored 3 touchdowns. The senior has had nine career multi-touchdown games. His 29 career touchdowns are 4 shy of co-record holders Sedrick Shaw and Tavian Banks’ 33 career scores.

Brandon Scherff was named a 2014 Rotary Lombardi Award semifinalist. Scherff is one of 12 players on the list and one of two offensive players on the list. The award is awarded annually to the best lineman or linebacker in the NCAA.

The 6-5, 320-pound left tackle has started 21-consecutive games and is a captain on the Iowa football team. No Iowa player has ever been given the Lombardi Award.

— by Danny Payne