Iowa women’s basketball media day notebook

The Iowa women’s basketball team met the Thursday in Carver-Hawkeye Arena, as head coach Lisa Bluder and her team spoke about the upcoming season and what they expect to see.

The 2014 Hawks return four of their starters from last season, a campaign that ended at the hands of No. 5 Louisville in the NCAA Tournament.

With another opportunity on the horizon, the Black and Gold look poised once again to make an impact in the Big Ten.

Earned, not given

Head coach Lisa Bluder wasted no time in her press conference getting down to business.

Playing a tough nonconference slate before launching into an even tougher conference schedule, Bluder and the Hawks know that doing things the easy way won’t be an option this year.

“This year, there are no more predetermined home sites for the NCAA Tournament,” Bluder said.  “The last two years, we’ve been able to secure some home sites, but this year, we’re going to have to earn it in a different way, and the way to do that is by being one of the top three or four teams in your conference.”

Senior Sam Logic echoed Bluder’s thoughts. A four-year starter, Logic knows that a usually competitive Big Ten got even harder this season with the addition of two new teams.

“Some conferences, you can take a night off and not have your best game and still win, not in the Big ten,” Logic said. “You’re going to have to play some of the best teams in the country if you want to compete, and you have to want to play the best teams if you want to succeed.”

Freshman class with a lot to prove

One of the biggest question marks for the Hawks this season is how they will use their relatively strong freshman class. 

It’s a group that Bluder would like to use in as many situations as she can, including freshman guard and Miss Indiana Basketball Whitney Jennings.

“Coach made it clear to all of the freshmen that she wants us to contribute right away and wants us to know that we’re all capable of doing what’s asked of us,” Jennings said. “Right now, we’re constantly watching everyone else and just trying to learn as much as we can.”

While specific roles have yet to be established, it’s a matter more of when than if when it comes to these first-year players.

“They’re going to see the floor, trust me,” Bluder said. “They’re too good not to use.”

Logic the key for Iowa

Bluder spared no time in singing the praises of Logic, a leader who, in her mind, stands out above the rest.

“No one in the country perhaps has as much experience leading her team like Sam does,” Bluder said.  “I know that I wouldn’t want anyone else to be leading our team this season.”

Logic, along with fellow seniors Bethany Doolittle, Kathryn Reynolds, and Melissa Dixon, embraces the opportunity to take control of the Black and Gold as they push one last time for a Big Ten championship and beyond.

“You have to set a good example and hold yourself to a certain standard when you lead a team,” Logic said. “Beyond that, you have to have the trust and respect of your teammates, and when you’re around great people like here, it makes it that much easier.”