Iowa beats Lehigh; National Duals underway

The second-ranked Iowa wrestling team showed no love for 24th-ranked Lehigh on Feb. 14, overpowering the Mountain Hawks in a 31-6 thrashing inside Stabler Arena.

The Hawkeyes won eight of the 10 bouts, which included four bonus-point victories. Derek St. John opened the offensive frenzy with a 21-6 technical fall victory at 157 pounds.

Nick Moore followed suit at 165 pounds by winning an 11-2 major decision. Sammy Brooks (184) and Nathan Burak (197) added two more technical falls, winning by scores of 16-0 and 18-1.

Josh Dziewa and Michael Kelly suffered the only two losses for Iowa at 141 and 149 pounds, respectively.

The victory pushes the Hawkeye’s record against the Mountain Hawks to a perfect 25-0. It also pushes Iowa’s dual record to 14-2, with an unblemished 6-0 in road duals.

Iowa’s next dual will be on Feb. 23 at No. 18 Wisconsin, the Hawks’ final dual of the season.

National Duals Results

The first two rounds of the National Duals took place in St. John Arena on the campus of Ohio State on Sunday afternoon.

The field comprised 14 teams from around the country in a single-elimination bracket format.

Minnesota and Cornell, the tournament’s top-seeded teams, received first-round byes.

Minnesota, Ohio State, Oklahoma, and Cornell all advanced to the semifinals. The Gophers will wrestle the Buckeyes in one semifinal, and the Sooners will wrestle Cornell in the other.

The semifinals are set to take place at noon (CST) today. The finals are set for 4 p.m.

— by Cody Goodwin