GymHawks fall to Michigan State

Facing Michigan State on Feb. 7 in East Lansing, Mich., the Iowa women’s gymnastics team started out strong but ultimately fell, 194.150-193.750.

The GymHawks opened the night with a solid performance on bars, posting a score of 48.575.

Freshman Angel Metcalf and junior Sydney Hoerr led the way, posting team-high scores of 9.825.

The Hawkeyes kept the momentum going through its second rotation, posting a season-best score of 48.850 on the vault. Sophomore Alie Glover posted her highest score of the season (9.825) to tie with teammate freshman Amanda Kowalski. Glover captured the all-around title (39.025) for the second time in as many outings against the Spartans.

Meanwhile, Michigan State posted a 48.275 on the bars. Iowa was up 97.425-96.625 at the midway point in the competition.

Iowa took to floor next, posting a score of 48.500, while the Spartans registered an impressive 48.900 on beam.

Michigan State came away with the win after posting a team score of 48.625 on floor. Iowa tallied a 47.825 on the beam. Michigan State clinched the victory, edging out Iowa by .400 in the final team score.

Iowa is scheduled to host Ohio State on Feb. 14 in Carver-Hawkeye, beginning at 7 p.m. In celebration of Valentine’s Day, the dual meet will also serve as Iowa’s annual “Think Pink: Breast Cancer Awareness” campaign.

— by Jordan Bucher