Women’s swimming and diving finishes fourth in Hawkeye Invitational

The Iowa women’s swimming and diving team wrapped up the final day in the Hawkeye Invitational, finishing fourth among the seven teams with a final score of 436.

The Hawkeyes used strong performances throughout the day to keep their hold on fourth place and got close several times to beating out Nebraska for third.

Notre Dame dominated the meet with a score of 823; the next closest finisher, Boise State, collected 742.5.

“Place-wise, we weren’t exactly where we wanted to be, but performance-wise, it was definitely where we wanted to be,” head coach Marc Long said. “The effort and breaking records was impressive as we get down toward the end of the road here.”

Both the divers and swimmers were in action Sunday, with the divers competing in the morning and the swimmers in the late afternoon.

In the only outright Hawkeye win of the weekend, freshman Calli Head took the title in platform diving, finishing with a score of 265.60. The mark also stands as the best five-dive score in school history.

“It was really exciting [breaking the record], but I had no idea what the top score was until after, when Coach told me,” Head said.

Junior Hillary Weigand finished eighth in the 1,650 freestyle with a time 17:03 to lead things off individually for the Hawkeyes. In the next event, Iowa placed another swimmer — Lindsay Seemann swam the 200 back in 1:59.03, good enough for sixth place.

The 100 freestyle featured sophomore Olivia Kabacinski, who swam a second-place time of 50.08 in the finals after breaking a school record in the prelims of the event.

In the final individual event of the day, the 200 breaststroke, several Hawkeyes finished in the top eight with two more also scoring. Sophomore Colleen Champa (2:14.31, fourth) and senior Karolina Wartalowicz (2:15.93, tied-sixth) registered team points. Senior Abbey Tuchscherer and junior Audrey Kumm finished 11th and 16th, respectively.

“Personally, I had some really good swims. I got it all from the team,” Champa said. “I mean, we’re swimming against some of the best people in the country, so to go out and there and race them, it’s just a great experience.”

Iowa ended the meet with a sixth-place finish in the 400-freestyle relay, with a time of 3:24.55. The other “B” relay finished in seventh but did not score points because only one relay per team is allowed to count.

Even without a high finish in some of the relays and other events, Long feels confident that the Hawkeyes can improve.

“There were definitely some things that stood out to me this weekend; one thing that most people aren’t going to notice is [Becky] Stoughton coming back and getting into the swing of things,” Long said. “She swam a great relay split for us last night, and that’s really going to help us as we get into the second semester.”

The Hawkeyes have a short week — they will take on Iowa State in Ames on Friday.