Men’s gymnastics kicks off the season with Black and Gold intrasquad

The Iowa men’s and women’s gymnastics shared the stage Sunday afternoon in Carver-Hawkeye Arena.

The gymnasts were split up into two teams — the Black and the Gold team. The teams competed against each other in a friendly contest in what was more or less an introduction back into performing under the bright lights.

The Black team took the victory, winning with a final score of 245.35. The Gold team came up short with a score of 234.65.

Freshman Cory Paterson displayed his talent in his first competition as a Hawkeye by finishing in the top three in three events — floor, vault, and parallel bars.

Redshirt senior captain Matt McGrath finished in the top three in three of his four events including floor, rings, and vault, and scored the highest overall on the rings.

Sophomore Matt Loochtan performed arguably one of the best on the team by scoring the highest on the team in three events — vault and parallel bars — and overall highest score on the floor.

Head coach JD Reive was very pleased with what he saw and said Sunday’s performance matched with what he has seen in practice the last few months.

The next step for the gymnasts is to keep their momentum over an extended break between meets and translate that into wins once the season starts.

The Hawkeyes won’t compete until Jan. 18 at the Windy City Invitational in Chicago.

— by Jack Rossi