Hawkeyes defeat Stony Brook 78-40

Another game, another win for the Iowa women’s basketball team.

With their 78-40 defeat of Stony Brook, the Hawkeyes move to 4-0 this season. And while winning has become a constant in these games, what hasn’t been constant is the players who step up in each game.

With combined total fouls for both teams nearing the 50s, the Hawkeyes — as they have with each game — relied on a new group of players to lead the Black and Gold to victory.

“We may be small in numbers, but we have full faith in every one of us in the Iowa jersey,” head coach Lisa Bluder said.

Despite the foul trouble, the Hawkeyes’ two main contributions came from freshman Ally Disterhoft and senior Theairra Taylor.

Disterhoft has been impressive all season, but the game against Stony Brook was possibly her best game yet. She finished with a team-high 17 points and added 9 rebounds — another team-high.

“I’m most pleased with her ability to accept contact and still make the basket,” Bluder said. “I think she does a good job of really being strong with the ball, going to the hoop, kind of pump fake, and still being able to draw that contact and get the basket.”

Another impressive quality for Disterhoft has been her scoring efficiency.

Her 17 points came from just eight shots. Including this game, Disterhoft has shot 51.3 percent from the field, 60 percent from 3, and 75 percent from the charity strip.

“I would say I stepped up when my name was called and hit the open shots,” Disterhoft said.

Taylor, like Disterhoft, played her best game of the season so far.

She finished with 14 points and added 6 rebounds and 2 assists. And while the Hawkeyes may have been held to zero fast-break points, a good chunk of Taylor’s buckets came from streaking down the floor after a Stony Brook basket for easy points.

“It’s definitely something that Coach has put in,” Taylor said. “We get the ball, and we have to go — that’s where our advantage is, so we look for that a lot.”

Iowa continued its stretch of dominating teams defensively. Stony Brook shot just 18.6 percent from the field and only made one 3 in the 40 minutes of play.

Through four games, Hawkeye opponents are averaging 56.8 points per game on 29.3 percent from the floor.

But what’s maybe more impressive is the offensive end, where the Hawkeyes put up 78 points and every member of the team scored. Their point total was actually lower than their average of 80.2 points per game this season.

Even more impressive is that they are scoring at this rate with Melissa Dixon — and in general, their 3-point shot — struggling.

So far this season, she’s shooting 16.7 percent from deep. If the junior guard starts shooting like the player that shot almost 40 percent from deep last season, then we could see Bluder’s Bunch putting even more points on the board.

But the road gets tough from here. The Hawkeyes next five games will be on the road, starting with No. 17 Colorado on No. 20.

If the Hawkeyes knock off another ranked opponent, they will likely be led by another group of contributing players.

“We really believe in the group that we have,” Bluder said. “I’d rather have the right 10 than have a good five and a suspect backup five, or seven, or 10, or whatever that number is.  I’d rather have what we have.”