Men’s tennis wraps up at Big Ten Singles/Doubles Tournament

Men’s tennis finished its fall season today in West Lafayette, Ind., with the doubles team of senior Jonas Dierckx and junior Matt Hagan highlighting the Big Ten Tournament by taking the consolation title.

Iowa’s top players once again shone over the weekend. Dierckx and Hagan drew the doubles team of Alekzander Davila/Elliott Yee from Indiana in the consolation finals. They went on to take the title with ease with an 8-3 victory.

This was another breakthrough for the Hawkeyes, because doubles has been a weaker point for the team through the early season.

However, the Hawkeyes enjoyed less success in singles than they would have liked but still had two players make it to the round of 16.

Hagan lost to Oskar Wikberg, the No. 5 seed from Wisconsin (6-2, 6-3), and Beau Treyz of Nebraska upset Dierckx (6-2, 6-4).

In a strange turn of events, senior Chase Tomlins drew Iowa’s lone freshman, Nils Hallestrand, on Oct. 26. The intriguing matchup was cut short because Hallestrand was forced to withdraw with an injury.

All in all, the team has gained much experience from the weekend and will work to get back to the courts.

Many players will continue to work on the same things they have been working on all year.

The women’s tennis team also concluded their fall season 10-0 in the final day of competition at the Drake Jamboree on Sunday. The team also won two single titles this weekend.

—  by Jack Rossi