Iowa defeats Northern Iowa 2-1 in overtime

The Iowa soccer team kept its undefeated season alive Tuesday night, defeating Northern Iowa, 2-1, in overtime.

“It was an interesting game,” head coach Ron Rainey said. “It was probably a little frustrating on the attacking end. And you have to give credit to [the Panthers]. They did what they had to do.”

Iowa’s first goal of the match came from midfielder Anne Marie Thomas. In the 79th minute, senior Ashley Catrell beat her defender up the left side of the field, then passed across her body to the center of the box and found Thomas, who finished in the left corner of the net.

“Ashley did a perfect cross, and it kind of went through everybody,” Thomas said. “And I just timed it before I finished it.”

Any celebration of the goal was quickly put to bed — the Panthers responded with a goal of their own in under a minute.

At the 78:30 mark of the game, Northern Iowa’s Brady Clark took the ball down the left side of the field and chipped a shot over Hawkeye goalkeeper Hannah Clark to tie the game.

“It was almost classic where we scored the goal, you almost saw everybody take a long breath,” Rainey said. “But then, we let down for a minute, and then they were able to finish. It became a dogfight again.”

After a few missed goal opportunities for the Hawks, the game headed into overtime. But little overtime would actually be played — Catrell put away a goal, giving the Hawks the victory.

Fourteen seconds into the overtime period, Cloe Lacasse advanced the ball and dished it to midfielder Alex Melin, who — after pushing the ball right — found Catrell set up for a shot from about 25 yards out and sent it into the top right corner of the net.

“It was me being in the right place at the right time,” Catrell said. “Alex saw me, I was open and then I saw basically their whole team in front of me and really had no other option besides shoot.”

Seeing Catrell’s shot go in was a change of pace for a night that saw 9 saves from Northern Iowa’s goalkeeper Nicole Postel.

“That was a nice goal by Ashley,” Rainey said. “From that distance and tailing away from the goalkeeper. That’s going to score against a lot of goalkeeper’s in our league.”

Despite winning by only 1, Iowa dominated every statistical category. The Hawkeyes outshot Northern Iowa, 26-4. Of Iowa’s 26 shots, 15 of them were shots on goal — compared to three shots on goal for the Panthers.

“We created a lot of attacking opportunities,” Catrell said. “ [Northern Iowa] had almost all their team behind the ball and in the box so it was hard for us. We’d shoot and it would deflect off them. It was kind of frustrating.”

The win extends Iowa’s non-conference win streak to 25. But for now, the Hawkeyes must shift their attention forward — the Big Ten portion of the schedule starts on Sept. 22.