Regents committee to recommend board approve forward motion on UIHC projects

The state Board of Regents Property and Facilities Committee will recommend today that the regents approve the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics’ request to move forward on three projects.

The first, the Iowa River Landing Clinical Service Expansion, would build additional outpatient facilities on levels four and five of the Iowa River Landing facility. The project would finish 18,000 square feet of shelled-in space, which would include 40 examination rooms, patient reception and waiting rooms, and additional clinical support services for the Departments of Urology, Internal Medicine, and Surgery.

The estimated cost is $6.1 million, not including furniture and equipment. This will be funded by University Hospitals Building Usage Funds.

The second project involves relocating the Pediatric Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory, the expansion and levels five and six of the Pappajohn Pavilion, and building a connector to UI Children’s Hospital.

The project would relocate and expand the Pediatric Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory from one to two labs. An unused area on the fifth level of Pappajohn Pavilion would be used to house the new lab.

An additional unused space on the sixth level would be converted into a connector for the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit and a skybridge connecting Pappajohn to the new Children’s Hospital.

The estimated cost is $8.7 million.

The third project is the UIHC Centralized Emergency Power Generation Facility. This involves an offsite centralized emergency-power-generation facility that would provide emergency power service to UIHC’s main campus.

The facility would also support the Children’s Hospital and hospital parking ramp.

The costs for this project range from $15 million to $23 million. The cost will depend on where the facility will be built and configuration of the facility.

A large reason for the generator project is the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Health Care requiring the UIHC to increase emergency-generator capacity that is dedicated to UIHC use only.

Because of the size of the project, the UIHC is requesting additional construction management personnel.

— by Megan Sanchez