PCA discusses strategic plan, student athlete grievance process

The Presidential Committee on Athletics met on Thursday to wrap up loose ends from last year and discuss plans for the 2013-14 athletic school year.

During the meeting, committee members were briefed on two special PCA agenda items, among other things.

After spending most of last year working on their next strategic plan the department is ready to finalize the project, specifically relating to student-athlete welfare, academic goals and diversity goals.

“It’s a work in progress,” Iowa athletic director Gary Barta said. “This is a living, breathing, moving document for the next five years so if we decide to add something, take something out, complete things and check them off, so be it.”

The athletic department is also in the process of completely reworking the PCA student athlete grievance process.

The project that carried over from last year but will be completed this year, will examine what the definition of a grievance in UI athletics is, and the process that will follow such grievances.

“We’re still, I would say, in the middle of that process and resolving what we think is grievable and how the process should be worked at the middle stage and then how it should be formalized at the actual grievance hearing,” N. William Hines, PCA chairman, said.

— by Lily Abromeit