Darius Stokes earns scholarship

Junior Darius Stokes has been granted a scholarship for the 2013-14 season after being a walk-on the last three years, Iowa head coach Fran McCaffery announced Wednesday. 

“Darius is an incredibly hard worker who brings energy and enthusiasm on a daily basis,” McCaffery said. “It’s rewarding to see his growth and improvement since his freshman year. Darius is a valuable member of this team and has earned this scholarship.”

Stokes, a 6-7 forward, has played on the scout team for the Black and Gold during his first three seasons. He has also played in 24 games, including a big performance against Indiana in 2012, scoring a highlight-worthy tip-in lay-up. 

Stokes comes from a successful basketball family. His sister Kiah won a national championship with the Connecticut women’s basketball team, and his father Greg was a three-time All-Big Ten Hawkeye from 1983-85. 

“This is a dream come true,” Stokes said. “I am extremely grateful for this opportunity. Coach McCaffery has always believed in me and pushed me in every practice. Having the opportunity to be part of this team as a walk-on and now earning a scholarship after working hard every day is an amazing feeling.

“There’s no other place I would rather be. We have a tremendous coaching staff, and I have the best teammates anybody could ask for. I look forward to continued improvement and the challenges ahead.”

— by Matt Cabel