Iowa baseball adds six members to recruiting class

The Iowa baseball team has not yet concluded its 2013 season, but that hasn’t stopped the squad from looking forward. Iowa head coach Jack Dahm announced the addition of six more players for the 2014 recruiting class, bringing the total to 11 new players.

All six players come from from the Midwest: Matt Allen from Buffalo Grove, Ill., Tanner Hinkle from West Des Moines, Will Polley from River Forest, Ill., Jason Samuelson from Rochester, Minn., Jake Sharp from Rock Island, and Brandon Shulista from Solon.

“These six players are going to add a lot of depth to our program,” Dahm said in a release. “There are a lot of pitchers that we feel have the opportunity to help us on conference weekends and midweek games. From a position player standpoint, we’re adding good, athletic guys who can develop into very good players for us.”

The addition of four more pitchers will match the four senior pitchers the Hawkeyes will lose come the end of this season.

Allen, a right-handed pitcher, had a 2.80 ERA as a junior with a 5-1 record, while throwing 38 strikeouts throughout his 48 innings of work. Hinkle plays both infield and outfield and put up a .396 batting average with 4 home runs, 33 RBIs, and 10 steals.

Three of the recruits — Polley, Sharp, and Shulista are transfers. Polley is RHP transfer from Parkland College. In his senior year at Oak Park-River Forest High, he had a 2.11 ERA. He redshirted his freshman season at Nebraska before transferring to Parkland.

Another one of the more talented recruits is outfielder Samuelson, a 2013 Under Armour Preseason All-American following his junior season, in which he hit .585 with a .660 on-base percentage. He batted at .524 in his summer Legion season, accounting for 27 RBIs, 25 runs, 12 doubles, 2 triples, and 1 home run.