Storybook ending to Drake Relays career for Iowa’s Tutson

DES MOINES — Senior Majesty Tutson was awaiting her chance to compete in her final Drake Relays. After competing in the annual event for the last eight years, she wanted a to finish her final Relays with a strong performance.

“It’s my last time at the Drake Relays, eight years,” she said. “Just trying to get out there and do it.”

Tutson spun the discus in her right hand, took a deep breath, and began her twirling motion for her second toss of the event. After spinning her body twice, she released the disc, and it flew straight down the middle of the Johnny Bright Field. The Iowa City native’s body language indicated she was pleased with her toss.

After the plate landed, a sense of anticipation built up in the crowd while the distance was being measured. A few moments passed before the electronic board flashed 55.19 meters, followed by 181-01, and the crowd went wild. Tutson turned to a group of family, friends, teammates, and coaches cheering her on in the stands to give them a huge grin and a few claps.

The senior was satisfied with the toss that earned her the second Drake Relays flag of her throwing career.

The throw, which also shattered the school record she had set on April 6, was a storybook ending for her last competition at the Drake Relays. She won her first flag in the same event as a senior four years ago while attending City High.

“It feels great,” Tutson said. “It’s unreal really, to come here every year for the last eight years and [win] this year; it’s unreal.”

Iowa throwing coach Scott Cappos sees Tutson’s journey into the record books as a product of hard work. As a walk-on, she put in the extra work to prove herself worthy, both on and off the field.

“It’s been a long, hard road for her,” Cappos said. “She’s just worked really hard over the last four years … to step up in a meet like this and perform, set a school record, 4 foot [personal record], is just awesome.”

Tutson’s performance highlighted the April 26 competition in Des Moines, and on April 27, the Hawkeyes got another strong showing from Lake Kwaza in the 100-meter dash.

The freshman used the momentum from her win in the same event at the Musco Twilight meet on April 20 to clock a time of 11.60 to take second. Her time was a personal best in the event.

This year marked the first time the Sycamore, Ill. native competed in the Drake Relays; she said it was the biggest meet she has ever competed in.

“It’s so much fun,” Kwaza said. “There are just people from everywhere, they know your name and where you’re from, and they cheer for you. It’s pretty cool.”