Hawkeye women set to host Musco Twilight 14 on Saturday

The Iowa women’s track and field team will host the 14th-annual Musco Twilight meet at the Cretzmeyer Track on Saturday. The meet is scheduled to begin at 1 p.m. CDT (field events) and 6 p.m. CDT (track events).

The field will include Wisconsin, Minnesota, Drake, and Missouri will also compete.

Saturday will be Senior Day for the Hawkeyes, who will honor 12 women in their final year at Iowa.

Head coach Layne Anderson’s squad will try to build off its performance last weekend at the Lee Calhoun Invitational, in which the women’s team earned first place at the meet with 212 points.

Junior Jasmine Simpson will attempt to defend her 2012 Musco Twilight title in the hammer throw. She threw 181-10 to win the event last year.

This is the first and only home meet scheduled for the outdoor season for the Hawkeyes, and Anderson would like to use that to his team’s advantage.

“We’d love to win a number of events,” he said. “We would love to show well in front of the home crowd; we would love to have a great meet to build our confidence going forward.”

Anderson, in his 10th year at Iowa, hopes his team will have an advantage competing at home.

“What do they say? Home-field advantage in athletics,” he said. “So we certainly hope that that’s the case for us at the Musco Twilight.”