Beer of the Week: Peach Porch Lounger

Name: Peach Porch Lounger

Product of: New Belgium Brewing, Fort Collins, Colo.

Serving Style: 1 Pint 6 fluid bottle

New Belgium Brewing asks you to take a leap of faith with its Peach Porch Lounger as part of its Lips of Faith Series. If you’re a fan of beer with juice additives, the Lounger is a refreshing beer with an impressively restrained alcohol bite for the 9.4 percent ABV.

Smell: Molasses is mostly in control here, giving the ale a deep, sweet odor that’s roundly finished with lemon. Thankfully, the peach is mostly absent; otherwise, it would overpower the beer entirely. 3.6/5

Appearance: The Lounger is constantly streaming carbonation, which is always a good sign for a light, fruity ale. The pale yellow beer also leaves copious amounts of delicate lacing on the glass. 4.4/5

Taste: First, sweet molasses coats your tongue; second, the residual sweetness bubbles into a citrusy lemon zing; and finally, peach plays ringer, giving the closing taste a balanced finish. The peach flavor was a bit pronounced for my taste, but on a summer day it’d probably be near perfection. 3.5/5

I’d enjoy this beer a lot more if New Belgium Brewing dialed back the peach juice a little bit, but all things considered, it’s still an extremely drinkable beer with a well-rounded flavor profile. It’s a great beer to keep in your fridge for people who still want to drink a beer but want an option that’s more exciting than traditional light beers. 11.5/15