Iowa women top No. 23 Michigan, notch 6th straight win over ranked teams

The Michigan Wolverines were hoping for a season sweep over the Iowa women’s basketball team on Sunday in Ann Arbor but ultimately came up short. The Hawkeyes over came a 9-point deficit early in the second half to defeat No. 23 Michigan, 63-57.

“It was [our] defense and composure,” head coach Lisa Bluder said about the Hawkeyes’ dominant second half performance in a release. “We held them to no field goals for the last seven minutes of the game, and Bethany Doolittle came to play today.”

The Wolverines lone basket in the last seven minutes came after Iowa had sealed the win.

Doolittle led Iowa’s second-half surge for its sixth win over a top-25 team. The sophomore forward from Oakdale, Minn., scored 10 of her career-high 19 points in the second half.

“My teammates were finding me open a lot in the zone that [Michigan] was playing,” Doolittle said in a statement. “The environment was intense, and we wanted revenge for the loss earlier in the season. I took the energy that was on the bench and the energy my teammates were giving me and put it into my game. ”

The Hawkeyes didn’t shoot well in the first half — chucking up 33 percent from the field. But as the game progressed, Iowa, and especially Doolittle, found their shooting stroke.

In the second half the Hawkeyes went 14-for-23 from the field — Doolittle finished the game 9-for-15 but shot 5-of-7 in the second.

“It’s funny because I didn’t realize we were shooting that well, percentage-wise,” Bluder said. “We had good clock management in this game and [played] smart, focused basketball in the second half.”

Senior guard Jaime Printy went 4-of-12 from the field but with 5:52 to play and Iowa down 2, shew hit a crucial go-ahead 3-pointer to give the Hawkeyes a 1-point lead and the momentum to close the game.

Printy finished the game with 14 points en route to becoming the sixth player in Iowa history to score 1,700 points.

“The fact that were now 6-0 against ranked teams sets the ball rolling for the next game,” Doolittle said.