Volleyball held winless on Michigan trip

The Iowa volleyball team dropped to 2-12 in Big Ten play after losing to Michigan on Nov. 3 in straight sets (25-19, 25-10, 25-12). The Hawkeyes’ two losses over the weekend extended their losing streak to eight games.

Michigan was able to hold Iowa to just 26 kills while registering 44. The Hawkeyes have had trouble competing with superior Big Ten offenses all season. Against the Wolverines, Iowa was held to a .087 hitting percentage, while Michigan hit .451.

Each team only had one hitter register double digit kills — Alex Lovell (10) for Iowa and Lexi Erwin (10) for Michigan. Over the weekend Lovell recorded 22 kills in two games, giving her 317 for the season, surpassing her total of 312 from a year.

The Wolverines were also able to utilize their height — with five women 6-1 or taller — against the Hawkeyes by blocking 8.0 shots.

On Nov. 2, Iowa lost to Michigan State, also in straights sets (25-20, 25-16, 25-18). The Hawkeyes fared better against the Spartans, but the end result was the same. Iowa was able to keep pace with the Spartans offensively — nearly matching Michigan State’s 39 kills with 31 of its own.

After losing the first set 25-20, Iowa had a chance to rebound in the second set but was doomed by a slow start. The Spartans jumped out to a 7-1 lead in the set.

“I thought we played well tonight,” head coach Sharon Dingman said in a release about the Michigan State match. “We did not pass well enough, and we have to serve better. That was disappointing, but I thought our offense was as good as it has been in a month.”

Lovell recorded 12 kills against the Spartans, while hitting a career-best .476. Junior setter Nikki Dailey registered a match-high 28 assists.

— by Carlos Sosa