Iowa volleyball drops match, 3-0, to Northwestern

The Iowa volleyball team took another blow on Sunday when the Hawkeyes lost to Northwestern in straight sets (25-22, 25-18, 25-15).

The offensive struggles continued for the Hawkeyes as they fall to 10-13 on the season, 2-8 in Big Ten play.

While Iowa managed to make the first set competitive — there were eight ties and five lead changes — the squad faltered down the stretch. The Hawkeyes doomed themselves in Welsh-Ryan Arena by committing 26 errors and only 31 kills.

Northwestern was able to stop the Iowa offense by recording a season high 13 blocks. The Wildcat defense also held the Hawkeyes to a .045 kill percentage.

While the offense as a whole had a poor showing, junior Rachael Bedell was able to pace Iowa with team-high 12 kills. Team captain Nikki Dailey also contributed a solid effort with 27 assists.

“Rachael had a great match,” head coach Sharon Dingman said. “She is trying to makes things happen and mixes it up. She really tries hard to score points for this team.”

The Hawkeyes weren’t impressive on the defensive side of the ball — allowing the Wildcat offense to hit .265 for the match — but junior Bethany Yeager eclipsed the 1,400-dig mark.

Yeager’s 11 digs on Sunday gave her 1,410 for her career, which ranks fifth all-time in Iowa history.