Iowa men’s golf places last in weekend tournament

The Iowa men’s golf team struggled mightily in the U.S. Collegiate Championship over the weekend.

The squad finished in last place out of 15 teams with a three-round score of 48 over, the team’s highest score since the first tournament of the year, when the Hawkeyes carded a 58 over.

Steven Ihm was the top golfer for the Hawks in the first round; the junior was in third place individually after shooting a 3-under. It was the only round under par for the team in the tournament and Ihm tied for 28th place individually after shooting 3 over and 6 over in the next rounds.

Brian Bullington was the most consistent Iowa swinger. The sophomore shot 2 over, 1 over, and 4 over in three rounds. Bullington tied for 31st place, his second best finish of the season.

Ryan Marks and Ian Vandersee finished tied for 71st with scores of 20 over, and Joseph Winslow tied for 74th after shooting a 21 over.

Marks shot a 14 over in the first round that included eight bogeys and a plus 6 on the 18th hole. The junior bounced back in the next two rounds, firing 5 over in the second round and 1 over in the third.

Vandersee struggled to keep the high numbers off the scorecard; he had six double bogeys and 13 bogeys total in the event. Winslow, who had the third most birdies of all golfers in the field in both of Iowa’s last two tournaments, knocked down only four in the tournament.