Hawkeye men’s swimming victorious at MSU

The Hawkeye men’s swimming and diving team traveled to East Lansing, Mich., on Oct. 19th, and dominated Michigan State in a 185-108 victory. The men took 10 out of the 16 events, fewer than in 2011, when Iowa swept the Spartans in all 16 events.

The 200 medley relay swam a time of 1:30.02, breaking the 53-year-old facility record of 1:30.37. The team consisted of junior Dustin Rhoads, sophomores Korey Schneider and Grant Betulius, and senior Jordan Huff.

Huff, Brian Donnatelli, and freshman Roman Trussov were the stars for the swimmers, each taking two individual wins. Huff won the 100 and 200 freestyle, and Donnatelli took the 50 free and 400 free relay.

Trussov, who is ranked in the top 100 of the world in the 100 breast, kicked off his first season as a Hawkeye winning both the 100 and 200 breaststroke.

Other Hawkeyes who captured first-place finishes were junior Manuel Belzer in the 1,000 free, Betulius in the 100 backstroke, and senior Patrick Weigand with the 500 free. The 400-free relay — consisting of junior Gianni Sesto, freshman Luke Snow, Donnatelli, and Huff — also had a first-place finish.

The men’s sole diver, freshman Addison Boschult, took the W in both the 3-meter and 1-meter springboards.

“It’s great to see a race after several months of hard training,” head coach Marc Long said in a release. “Although it’s early on in the season, it’s great to walk away with a Big Ten win.”

The Hawkeyes will look for their second victory when they hit the road again on Nov. 2, when they take on the Gophers at their home pool in Minneapolis.