Iowa women’s tennis’ Dohanics wins singles tournament

Freshman tennis player Annette Dohanics won the Maroon Singles Flight championship at the Gopher Invitational on Sunday, defeating Air Force’s Mellisa Cecil (6-1, 6-1). Dohanics won four singles matches in three days to take one of three singles titles at the tournament. Eastern Michigan’s Diana Davitaia won the top Gold Singles Flight while Wisconsin-Milwaukee’s Dana Shannon won a three-set match to take the Gopher Singles Flight. Doubles pairings from Air Force and Minnesota took the two doubles flights.

Dohanics, a Pittsburgh native, also won a doubles match on Sunday, teaming up with sophomore Ellen Silver to defeat UW-Milwaukee’s Kelly Fritz and Dana Shannon in a pro set 8-2.

Iowa players lost three other singles matches on Sunday, a sour note on an otherwise successful weekend. The toughest loss may have been Christina Harazin’s — the junior fell in three sets (6-4, 4-6, 6-3) to Minnesota’s Jessika Mozia. The Hawkeyes doubles pairing of Harazin and Caitlin Hindmarsh also fell (9-8) to a Northern Iowa doubles side.

Despite a tough final day, Iowa head coach Katie Dougherty was satisfied with the team’s play over the weekend.

“We got a lot out of this tournament,” she said in a release. “We saw many good things and know the adjustments and improvements we need to make.”

Iowa will travel to another Big Ten school next weekend when Michigan’s Wolverine Classic begins on Sept. 21. Among other teams in a talented field, the host Wolverines are the three-time defending Big Ten champions.