Iowa women’s cross-country wins Bradley Open

The Iowa women’s cross-country team fared well in its second meet of the season on Sept. 7 at the Bradley Open in Peoria, Ill.

The Hawkeye harriers dominated the three-mile event with the top four finishers in the race at Detweiller Park.

Sophomore runner Kayla Beattie won the event with a time of 16:44, followed closely by Iowa graduate-student Mareike Schrulle (16:52), junior Megan Ranegar (17:07), and senior Nicole Benson (17:14).

The Hawkeyes also had three more runners who finished in the top 10: senior Kelsey Hart (17:39) who finished in eighth place, freshman Cindy Saliba (17:5) in ninth, and freshman Lisa Gordon in 10th (17:56).

“I thought it was an outstanding effort top to bottom by the Iowa Hawkeyes,” head coach Layne Anderson said in a release.

Iowa also showcased Lena Placzek, who finished 17th, Katherin Rehn in 19th, Courtney Martin in 23rd, Jocelyn Todd in 32nd, Rachel Price in 40th place, and Brooke Bierhaus in 45th.

The meet consisted of 102 individual runners coming from eight different schools, including Iowa: host Bradley, Indiana State, Illinois State, Quincy University, Illinois Wesleyan, Illinois College, and Morton College.

The women’s cross-country team will run again on Sept. 21 at the Toledo Bubble Buster, which will host a handful of talented teams and should be a more of a test for the Hawkeyes.

—by Levi Lynott