Hawkeye soccer wins again

The Iowa women’s soccer team won the Black Knight Classic with a 4-0 victory over Long Island-Brooklyn at Clinton Field at West Point on Sunday.

The win moved the Hawkeyes record to 8-0 on the season and kept them the lone undefeated team in the Big Ten.

Sophomore forward Cloe Lacasse scored a pair of goals, her 9th and 10th of the season, to continue her ascent into becoming one of the top forwards in the conference. The Sudbury, Ontario, Canada, native was awarded the tournament MVP following the game.

Sophomores defenseman Anne Marie Thomas and midfielder Katie Nasenbenny added the other scores, and goalkeepers sophomore Kiley Beck and freshmen Hannah Clark and Megan Goodson combined for the shutout to complete a perfect weekend on the Hudson River.

The Hawkeyes were victorious in their opening game in West Point, a 2-1 victory over Army on Sept. 7. Lacasse and senior Dana Dalrymplye knocked in scores to hand head coach Ron Rainey the 150th win of his career, his 60th as Iowa’s leader.

The Hawkeyes are now undefeated in their last 17 nonconference matches, and they have outscored those foes 27-3 this season.

The Black and Gold will have little time to rest as they hit the road early this week, traveling to St. Louis on Wednesday. Iowa will then open its Big Ten season on Friday at Illinois. The date with the Illini will conclude a stretch of four road games in nine days.

— by Tom Clos