Hawkeye men’s cross-country doesn’t impress coach

The Iowa men’s cross-country team had a rough finish, coming up short in the Bradley Open in Peoria, Ill. on Sept. 7. Only three runners had a top-10 finish, compared with last week’s six.

The meet had its fair share of competition, including three other Division-I schools: Indiana State, Illinois State, and host Bradley. Indiana State’s Dustin Betz won the individual title with a time of 24:57.

Five new runners took the stage in the competition. Junior Jon Michael Brandt was the first of the Hawk harriers to cross the finish line, taking fourth place in the 8-km race at 25:17.

Junior Sam Chaney was the second finisher from the Hawkeyes, placing eighth at 25:34, a career best.

Head coach Larry Wieczorek said that though he hoped for a better team performance, he thought Brandt and Chaney raced well.

In his first college race, freshman Caleb Wilfong had an impressive start, capturing 10th in 25:42.

Wieczorek was impressed with Wilfong’s good start and expects him to jump ahead in future races.

“[Wilfong] got his feet wet; he’s learning the process; it’s a good start for him,” the coach said.

Right behind him were seniors Cameron Reiger and Nick Holmes in 11th at 25:45 and 12th at 25:50.

Wieczorek said Holmes wasn’t feeling well prior to the meet and that they were both disappointed.

“He’s disappointed; he knows he can run better,” he said. “We need the best Nick out there, running and performing to as an all-regional.”

Wieczorek said there are better days ahead, and with three weeks until the Hawks’ next meet, there will be plenty of time to prepare. The harriers will return on Sept. 29 for the Roy Griak Invitational in Minneapolis.

— by Jalyn Souchek