Courtney Nagle joins women’s tennis coaching staff

Iowa women’s tennis head coach Katie Dougherty announced on July 20 that Courtney Nagle will join the Hawkeye coaching staff beginning with the the 2012-2013 season.

Nagle previously coached for Oregon (2005, 2010), Princeton (2007-09), and Colorado (2011-12). The former Duck joined the Oregon team as a walk-on and went on to earn a scholarship her sophomore year and become the school’s first doubles All-American in 2003.

Nagle lead the Ducks to their highest Intercollegiate Tennis Association ranking in school history at No. 22, and she was named the school’s most improved player twice.

The ex-Oregon player also competed internationally after college, winning 15 double titles on the World Tennis Association tour.

The doubles player climbed to the No. 97 ranking in the tennis association in 2009. Nagle was named the World Team Tennis Rookie of the Year during her time with the Philadelphia Freedoms in 2010.

"I am thrilled to have Courtney join the Hawkeye tennis family," Dougherty said in a release. "She has had a lot of experience in both college tennis and on the [tennis association] tour. Courtney is a great technical and tactical coach … She will be a great mentor to this young team."

The Hawkeyes finished last season with a 8-15 overall record, going 2-9 in the Big Ten. Iowa graduated three seniors, including the No. 1 singles player, Sonja Molnar.

— by Molly Irene Olmstead