First year of Busch contract to bring UI $43K

University of Iowa officials have signed a four-year marketing contract with Anheuser-Busch.

Under the agreement, Anheuser-Busch officials will provide $43,000 for the UI’s alcohol-harm-reduction plan in its first year, UI spokesman Tom Moore told The Daily Iowan Thursday. This number will increase to $50,000 in the fourth year of the contract.

Moore said both parties have the option to renew the agreement after the four-year period.

The DI previously reported that UI officials renewed the contract between Anheuser-Busch and Learfield Communications Inc. — the sports-marketing company hired to represent the Hawkeye Athletics Department — through 2026.

This is a separate contract from the four-year agreement with Anheuser-Busch, Moore said.

The contract between Anheuser-Busch and Learfield allows the Tigerhawk logo to share space on products with Anheuser-Busch logos, as long as the phrase "Responsibility Matters" accompanies it.

UI officials maintain the contract’s requirements are consistent with the university’s alcohol-harm-reduction initiative.

"The requirement that the possible use of the Tigerhawk logo be accompanied by the phrase ‘Responsibility Matters’ is consistent with our alcohol-harm-reduction initiative," UI President Sally Mason said in a statement. "The university will continue to emphasize that students and fans should consume alcohol only in a legal, safe, and responsible manner."

— by Kristen East