Big Ten Tournament: Iowa men’s tennis secures worst winning percentage in program history

The Iowa men’s tennis team completed a season to forget by falling to No. 23 Indiana, 4-0, in the first round of the Big Ten Tournament in Evanston, Ill., on Thursday.

The Hawkeyes ended the season with a 20-meet losing streak and finished with an overall record of 1-22, 0-12 mark in conference play.

The 2012 team’s winning percentage of .045 beats the 1961 Iowa team, which finished with a .076 win percentage (1-13) for the worst in program history.

Iowa couldn’t put together the complete performance against Indiana.

The Hawkeyes’ doubles problems reared their ugly heads once again as Indiana’s No. 77 nationally ranked team of senior Jeremy Langer and junior Isade Juneau overpowered junior Garret Dunn and sophomore Michael Swank, 8-5, at No. 1. Seniors Tom Mroziewicz and Will Vasos were whipped, 8-3, in the No. 3 slot to clinch the doubles point for the Hoosiers.

The lone Hawkeye win came courtesy of sophomore Jonas Dierckx and freshman Matt Hagan, who scored a 8-5 triumph at No. 2.

Hagan (No. 1), Vasos (No. 2), and Dunn (No. 4) were all dropped in straight sets in singles. The first three points in singles clinched the victory for Indiana, so the remaining matches ended "unfinished."

Iowa was looking to avenge a 6-1 loss to the Hoosiers suffered on April 6.

— by Tom Clos