Former Hawkeye Wegher charged with assault

Former Iowa running back Brandon Wegher was arrested in Akron, Iowa, on March 15 and charged with domestic-abuse assault, according to documents obtained by the Cedar Rapids Gazette.

Wegher allegedly pushed his brother, Cole, so that his head struck a kitchen counter. Domestic-abuse assault is a simple misdemeanor punishable by up to 30 days in jail and a maximum fine of $625.

Akron police Officer Jared Gares said in an affidavit that he responded to a domestic disturbance at around 7:30 p.m. March 15. Gares saw "a small bump" on Cole Wegher’s head — although Brandon Wegher denied touching him — and took the ex-Hawkeye into custody.

Cole Wegher filed a no-contact order against his brother on March 16. The order will remain in place until it is terminated by the court, until the case is dismissed, or until Brandon Wegher is sentenced.

Wegher ran for 641 yards and set an Iowa freshman record with 8 rushing touchdowns in 2009. He left the team for personal reasons during preseason camp in 2010, and attempted to walk on at Oklahoma in January 2011; the NCAA deemed him ineligible, and Sooner coach Bob Stoops said Wegher was no longer with the team in March 2011.

He transferred to Iowa Western Community College but was academically ineligible to play in 2011.

He was arrested in October on a warrant for public intoxication and charged with eluding police in Council Bluffs. The latter charge was later dismissed; he was found guilty of public intoxication and fined $100.

— by Seth Roberts