Iowa’s Logic is in driver’s seat after an up-and-down start to season

Sam Logic’s high-school career was full of accolades.

She was the No. 10 recruit in the class of 2011 by ESPN HoopGurlz, a McDonald’s High School All-American, and the AP Player of the Year in Wisconsin; Logic arrived on campus with bags of potential.

The pass-first point guard joined a lineup with four returning upperclassmen starters — senior Kamille Wahlin, junior Jaime Printy, senior Kelly Krei, and junior Morgan Johnson.

Head coach Lisa Bluder raved about Logic during media day before the regular season and joked that her passing was so good some of her teammates had the Nike logo stamped on their foreheads from not being ready to receive one of her dishes.

"All freshmen develop at different rates," head coach Lisa Bluder said during a press conference on Wednesday. "She’s been up and down a little bit … Freshmen are going to have inconsistent nights, because they’re not used to it yet."

Logic’s Big Ten coming-out party came in her home state on Feb. 2, when Iowa went on the road to face the Wisconsin Badgers. The Racine, Wis., native had a near triple-double; she finished with 20 points, 13 rebounds, and 8 assists in a 85-79 overtime victory.

But her brilliant performance was overshadowed by bad news; junior guard Printy tore her left ACL in the final minute of overtime, ending the Iowa star’s season.

Logic has elevated her game since then. She averaged 18.5 points and 11 rebounds in victories over Minnesota and Michigan State, and she was recently named the Big Ten’s co-Player of the Week and Freshman of the Week.

The numbers were well past her season averages of 8.5 points and 6.4 rebounds per game.

Could it be because she has the ball in her hands more now that Printy is out of the lineup?

Possibly.

But Logic thinks it’s comes down to having more experience than she did at the beginning of the season.

"I’ve been taking more shots than I ever did in high school," Logic said. "I’ve grown in situations like that. When you make mistakes, you can be frustrated — but you can’t let it change how you play."

The suddenly surging Logic has helped buoy the Hawkeyes on a recent five-game win streak and has become an on-court leader.

The freshman was all over the court In the team’s 74-57 victory over Michigan State on Feb. 12, and collected 17 points and 13 rebounds.

When the Hawkeyes were in the midst of an 18-4 run that helped them pull away from the Spartans, it was Logic who was pumping up the crowd and urging her teammates on after each basket.

Logic’s emotion on the court and her knack for rebounding might draw comparisons to former Hawkeye star Kachine Alexander. Coincidentally, Logic took Alexander’s place in the lineup this season after the latter graduated.

Logic didn’t back down when asked if she felt any pressure on filling the void left by arguably one of the greatest players in program history.

"[Alexander] wasn’t a point guard, but that energy she brought, and that excitement and passion to the game — I try to bring that, too," Logic said.

She credited her teammates for keeping her on an even keel when she’s had bad performances this year.

Logic’s play has helped the Hawkeyes win games as of late and her teammates have taken notice.

"She’s doing a great job of looking for the open pass and we’ve been shooting the ball well," Johnson said. "Sam has been making really great decisions. When it’s there, she’ll take it all the way to the rim; when it’s not, she’s been finding the open person."

Follow DI women’s basketball reporter Ben Wolfson on Twitter.